What makes moving so stressful is all the things that you have to do in order to get yourself settled into your new place. Here is a checklist prepared by Certified Property Solutions which contains items that should be done once you have signed your lease:
- Contact the utility companies to have them setup service the day before you are supposed to move in just to be sure everything is one when you get there
- Turn on your TV, Internet, and Phone services the day after you get the keys to make sure they don't go to the property when you don't have access to it
- Setup your mail forwarding with the post office at least one week in advance to take affect 2 - 3 days before you move to ensure there are no problems.
- If using movers, schedule them to arrive several hours after you are supposed to get the keys just in case they are early or there is a delay in getting your keys
- If there is a condo or homeowners association, contact them to register yourself and talk about parking on the day that you are moving
- Keep a basic house kit accessible with paper towels, hand soap, toilet paper, flashlight, and cleaner (examples: Clorox wipes, 409, etc.)
- When boxing up your stuff, be sure to label on each box what room its for and if there is time, a quick note of what is in the box
- Have your camera ready to take pictures when you first get the keys
- Keep your lease and personal identification information accessible in case you need them for any reason during the moving process
- Update your mailing address with:
Certified Property Solutions always recommends contacting your local property management company to help assist you. Whether your living in Honolulu Hawaii, Los Angeles, or Las Vegas, property managers are always happy to provide you with contact inform for utility companies and can help guide you through your transition.
January 7, 2014